Alaia is an interviewer in Hawaii!
1. What is your Servas background? I have been a traveler since the early 80s.
2. How long have you been an interviewer? Since 2007.
3. Where have you traveled? Denmark, Sweden, Canada, Thailand, Indonesia , Costa Rica, Mexico, Christmas Islands Nepal and India
4. What is one great memory you have from Servas (as a traveler, host, or interviewer)? In Denmark, before the days of the internet I contacted host in Born Holmn who welcomed me. Once I embarked on my journey from Copenhagen I discovered it was a LONG way! In route I called them to tell them that my arrival was later than expected and they said they were hoping I would call because they had discussed it and since the travel was so far they wondered if I wanted to stay longer than the customary Servas time. I said I was not sure but thanked them being cautious. Once I arrived and met them I was so happy with them and their wonderful home I did stay for 4 days and truly enjoyed every moment of being included in their family.
A second Denmark story: I arrived late to a home in Copenhagen from another city in Denmark and again pre-cell phone and internet. The host was just driving away from her home, she spotted me coming down the street and she stopped and greeted me.. “you must be the Servas traveler!” “Yes,” I replied. “Well go on in the door is open there is a snack on the table and your room is at the top of the stairs. I’l be back in a bit, must pick up the children.” When she returned I was still sitting on the couch in the living room. It felt so strange to be in someone’s home that I didn’t know when they weren’t there. The children took me all over the neighborhood chatting away in Danish. It didn’t matter to them that I had no idea what they were saying. Such GREAT Servas travel memories!
As an Interviewer I have done interviews in the strangest places including the sidewalk at the airport and even between layovers!
5. What hobbies do you enjoy? Hiking, marathon walking, raw food cuisine, metaphysics, traveling and spirited conversation, and most recently salsa and hustle dancing.
6. What is one of your favorite quotes?
- Love knows neither race nor religion, just an open hand, an open heart, and an open mind. -Sharon Rothstein
- ‘When my heart can do my thinking and my head begins to feel, That’s when I can look at the world anew and know what’s truly real” – Van Morrison
- “There are two ways of spreading light – to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” Edith Wharton, Vesalius in Zante
- “Don’t speak to me about your religion; first show it to me in how you treat other people. Don’t tell me how much you love your God; show me in how much you love all [God’s] children. Don’t preach to me your passion for your faith; teach me through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I’m not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as I am in how you choose to live and give.” ~ Cory Booker
7. Why are you involved with Servas, and why do you think that Servas is important? Peace and a world with boundaries and borders is my ultimate goal.. Anything I can do to spread this Unity I will do.
Alaia is also a host so give her a call if you are going to Hawaii!